Weave Messed Up My Hair!

"Girl I had to take that weave out of my head!" my friend exclaimed. 
"Why?"
"Because it broke my hair off bad!"

I've heard this more times that I care to count.

Okay it is possible for a weave to damage your hair. If you let it stay in your head for a long time, hair will start to grow and tangle the thread causing damage when you attempt to take it out.

Weave can also damage your hair if the braids are too tight by causing traction alopecia and thinning.

But MOST OF THE TIME, THE REASON IS THAT YOU HAD NO BUSINESS PUTTING THE WEAVE IN YOUR HEAD IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Yeah, a lot of you may disagree but please let me explain.

You see, my dear friend's hair has been fried, dyed, and laid to the side for years. She perms it every four weeks, doesn't take care of it like she should, and wears almost no protective styles. She is completely ignorant of how to take care of her hair, as is a lot of women. I was ignorant as well!

IF your hair is damaged already and breaking, PLEASE DO NOT PUT A WEAVE IN YOUR HEAD. It will make problems much more worse for you. You need to nurse your hair to a healthy state. If it is short, you should let it grow out a few inches before attaching weaves to the braid. The weave becomes "heavy" and encourages traction and thinning.

Yes, if installed correctly, a weave can be a great protective style. But if your hair is in a weak state already, a weave will do more harm than good. Don't blame the weave for your breakage. Look in the mirror (really...look in the mirror at the condition of your hair) to find where most of the blame should lie.

Make sure that your hair is in a healthy state or a more healthier state before you put a weave in. Great alternatives? Wigs!!! Half wigs!!! U-Part Wigs!!! Lacefront wigs!!!! This will help you until your hair is stronger to wear that weave!




Comments

Popular Posts